Wednesday, January 25, 2012

On the Job

(January 24)

Today was a couple of milestones for me at my new(ish) job: I gave a presentation to my team about the software project I am working on and I attended my first company training course, which was all about self-development.  So, I spent 3 hours of TLY this afternoon learning how to write an annual plan for self-development (which I will do FTVLT).

Seriously, though, having moved from a small company to a large one, I am grateful for the abundance of offered training programs, as well as the stated expectation that employees will work toward their individual development each quarter.  A common refrain during the afternoon class was that, despite those expectations, many of our employees are not able to spend time on their development goals because of their business priorities.  At this early stage I can only hope that I am able to sustain a balanced approach to business needs and self-development.  Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment