Sunday, February 26, 2012

Giving It Up

(February 21 and 22)

This year I decided to give something up for Lent.  I've never attempted this seriously before, but being that there are more Catholics than non-Catholics in my extended family why not partake in Lent FTVLT?

I gave some thought of how extreme I wanted to go with this, for example, what about giving up meat?  That would mean no boiled dinner for St. Patrick's Day, and so that was right out.  The all-beer fast sounds interesting, but I'm going to have to pass.  Lisa Barone probably wants me to give up my blog.  Not gonna happen!  So, I settled on a compromise, and decided to forego pork for Lent.  And, before you criticize my selection, consider all the foods I'll be missing out on:

  • Sal's pepperoni pizza
  • Pork fried rice
  • Ham and Swiss on rye
  • Sam-gyeop-sal
  • Sausage McGriddles
  • Baby back ribs
  • Penne with spicy Italian sausage
  • Pork Chops with applesauce
  • Pulled pork

and... most of all... come on folks, if you were paying attention to the link above...



Yup, just like J. Wilson and Jim Gaffigan, I'll definitely be craving me some bacon in a big way.  So, the day before Ash Wednesday I pigged out on bacon ;-)  I happened to have a pack and a half in the refrigerator and probably went through about one pack.  I didn't just eat it plain either; I wanted to test the notion of whether bacon makes everything taste better.  Do bacon-wrapped Chicken McNuggets taste better?  You betcha.  Bacon with peanut butter and banana in a wrap?  Naturally!

So, this Lent will really be a challenge:  Thursday's menu at the company cafeteria includes BBQ Pork Ribs and Pulled Pork sandwiches, as well as Cajun Gumbo with Andouille... I have to watch those ingredients carefully!


Drops from My 2012 Bucket: Feb. 22, 303 days remaining


The Immunity Syndrome  (Space amoeba!)
A Private Little War  (Mugato:  white ape thing.)
Return to Tomorrow  (A possessed, evil Spock was memorable.)
Patterns of Force  (The Nazi regime rises again.  On another planet.)

Video Mission Update: 51 / 728 hours = 7.0%

No comments:

Post a Comment