Sunday, February 5, 2012

Groundhog Day

(February 2)

Punxsutawney Phil has spoken, FTVLT, although I thought of all winters this would be the one to be declared over!  So, last (recordbreaking) winter is declared an early Spring, and this year's non-winter will be long.  Go figure.

I decided that today I would learn about the history of Groundhog Day, something I've never done despite visiting Punxsutawney once earlier in my life.  One of the wonderful things about Wikipedia is that you can get a rich context on a subject just be clicking a few links.  In this way we can find out how Imbolc, Swithun, and Candlemas all factor into the historical context of weather prognostication: just click on the links from the Groundhog Day article.  Yes, sir, I've lost more than one afternoon just following an ever expanding tree of Wikipedia links.

BTW, if you've never seen Bill Murray's Groundhog Day, the summary which is also linked from the main Wikipedia article, do so before time's up.  Chances are none of us will ever be caught in a time loop until we get things right, but if you were given that extra time, what thing do you think you would need to fix?

No comments:

Post a Comment