Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Whale of a Tale

(April 18)

At my first outdoor lunch of the season with my colleagues, the topic turned to the consumption of whale in Japan.  I've known for a long time that Japan figures large in the whaling industry, but I never really gave much thought to how they consumed whale meat, so I researched Japan's whale consumption a bit when I got home.

Here's a really interesting summary.  What really got my attention was how whale meat accounted for nearly half of all the consumed animal protein in post-WWII Japan, midst a food shortage.

Here's a story about making whale burgers in Hokkaido.  The picture looks a lot like a delicious hamburger -- I'd definitely try one of those!  I need someone to send be to Japan for a "research" mission.  Yeah, that's right.

Drops from My 2012 Bucket: Apr. 18, 247 days remaining


Code of Honor  (Tasha fights to the death)
The Last Outpost  (Enter the Ferengi!)

Video Mission Update: 107 / 728 hours = 14.7%

No comments:

Post a Comment