Saturday, April 21, 2012

Best Run Ever*

(April 19)

Taking a prompt from my morning telephone conversation with Tom Donovan, this evening I went out and ran a full 5 miles non-stop.  My pacing is probably on order of 12 minute miles, 1 hour in total, but I am not certain because once again I goofed up with my measuring (iPod nano using Nike+) and do not have an accurate recording.  It figures.  Here I have my longest continuous run, and I'm griping afterwards about how I won't be able to transmit the data to my Nike account and have the distance accrue towards my set goals in that program.  :-)

You'll just have to take my word for it, but if it makes you feel any better, I'll mark my accomplishment with an asterisk.

A couple of notable things from today's run:  first, I did it without music, and I found the ability to just think about other things whiled away the time.  I thought of a nice solution to a coding problem from work in the first half of the run!  Second, in understanding the topology of the rail trail on which I run, the 2.5 miles out is generally on a decline, which means the 2.5 miles back is generally incline -- a tougher workout.  There is one half mile stretch of steep decline (between 1.0 and 1.5 miles) which becomes steep incline on the return (between 3.5 and 4.0 miles).  This incline is what I've come to call my "Heartbreak Hill."  And yes, this was the first 5-miler that I did not stop running -- not even for Heartbreak Hill.

I really felt the burn in my calves after this run.  This is exactly why I can only run every third day; I need the recuperation in between!

Before signing off on this post, I'd like to take a moment to thank my parents for tying the knot on this date some years ago... an event that is quite directly responsible for the existence of this crappy blog!  Enjoy!  :-)


Drops from My 2012 Bucket: Apr. 19, 246 days remaining

Made a credit card payment!

Debt Mission Update: 4 / 11 payments = 36%

No comments:

Post a Comment