Saturday, March 17, 2012

Snow Day

(March 1)

This is how the winter will go on the books, with a storm in late October and the next big one in early March!  It was a welcome storm for Marcie; heavy enough to close school and sticky enough for snowballs.  All three of us got a little shovelling in, yup, Marcie included.  She was in a very helpful mood!

Aside from that fun, it was a work day, and I worked from home, helping a colleague to get his software ready for production deployment, as I had gone through myself the previous day.  I discovered an interesting rule about working from home on a snow day -- everyone else is too.  This had the neat effect of making the company VPN bandwidth very, very slow.  Copying files from my machine to the corporate network drive was a tedious chore that often ended in failure.  In the afternoon, I gave up and drove to the office just to copy a few files around inside the network.

To summarize, I developed my first law of corporate thermodynamics.  On snowy days,

Tcommute + Tcopy inside network < Tcopy over VPN


where T represents time.  Actual values for today, in minutes:  20 + 2 < 45.

No comments:

Post a Comment