Monday, December 31, 2012

We made it!

Well, we all know now that December 21 has passed by, and our world is still very much here.  We've enjoyed a Merry Christmas, and a new year is just hours away.

It is a blessing to have another beginning, another chance to do good things in life.  In that spirit, the old subtitle of this blog that portended EOTW is now permanently replaced with the current edition.

The bad news is that there is still much volatility in the world, and we don't need to look very far to see the signs.  The tragedy at Sandy Hook is one example.  I'm sure there are plenty of folks who quietly believe the world as we know it may be better off gone in the long run.  And, just because we have completed one b'ak'tun and started another does not mean that existential threats vanish.

I want, for a little while, anyway, to treat this calendar transition the way the Maya might: as a period of celebration.   I leave this blog now and prepare to launch the next one.  Perhaps 2013 will provide more time for me to reflect and write, and perhaps not.  I hope that 2013 continues to give me the opportunity to try simple, new things, the way I did nearly every day of 2012.  I am grateful that I have this opportunity at all!

Oh, and there will be a few more updates to come as I finish up some of the unfinished business of this busy year.

No comments:

Post a Comment